Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2015

I'm Addicted: Ceremony in Death by J.D. Robb

In Death #5:  Ceremony in Death by JD Robb

Dystopian Mystery Thriller

Warning:  All book snobs need not apply. 

Recently, I was talking about this book series and a web acquaintance made a very disparaging remark about the quality of its artistic merits.  If you're one of "those people", stop reading now.  If, instead, you are a reader who loves a great read, full of action and adventure no matter the author or genre, welcome to my review.

I am a big fan of this series.  No, it may not have a lot of high-falutin' artistic merits, but it is one heck of a read.  It's imaginative and creative and the mysteries are really well done.  Since it takes place in a futuristic world, the normal realistic rules are discarded.  That makes it so much more fun!  I like the gadgets and gimmicks Robb has invented; I like this alternate world and these alternate characters; I like the space travel--I like it all.  The hot romance doesn't hurt either.

In this installment, Eve, newly married to Rourke, has been assigned to investigate a fellow cop, a veteran she knew who taught her much of what she knows.  She isn't keen on the case since it might mean implicating one of her own, but she has a duty to do.  And, Eve is nothing if not the dutiful cop.  Mix in the mystery with some witchcraft and Satanism and you get a dark, twisted read that will leave you on the edge of your seat to the last page.

Sometimes, as a reader, you don't have to live on a diet of vegetable of tofu.  This book is more like a piece of dark chocolate, unhealthy at best and sinful at worse.  I don't mind admitting I'm addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment