Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Friday, February 6, 2015

The Best in the Series So Far: Voodoo River by Robert Crais

Elvis Cole #5:  Voodoo River by Robert Crais

Mystery

I am a huge Elvis Cole fan.  I think he is probably my favorite detective and this is my favorite series, so perhaps I am a bit biased with this review.

But, WOW!  This is, by far the best one in the series so far.  I love it when a series gets better and better rather than petering out like a limp firework.

Elvis has been hired by a superstar who wants to know the truth about her biological family.  What Elvis uncovers is a multi-generational tragedy filled with racism.  I was just expecting your typical mystery--detective does a little sleuthing, a few surprises, a life-and-death struggle or car race, a neat and happy ending.  That was not the case here.  This mystery has more layers than an onion and each one gets more stinky and eye-watering. Elvis's skills and ethics are tested in ways he never dreamed of.  A love interesting complicates his tidy life and he walks into several situations certain he's going to his death.  Even the infallible Joe Pike was pushed to his limits in this one.

I cannot say enough about this series and, most particularly, this book in the series.  This is mystery writing at its very best, its very finest.  Cannot wait to read the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment