Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Blech!: Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby, Jr.

Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby, Jr.

Fiction

I can hon
estly say this is the worst book I've ever read in my life.  Since I've read thousands of books, that is quite an insult, and one that is deserved.

I cannot fathom what other people see in this book to give it a higher rating than a one star and, honestly, I feel that's a bit high.

The plot:  four people who are addicted to drugs and the ensuing chaos and horror their addiction brings.

The formatting of the book drove me insane.  There aren't paragraphs or punctuation and the slang was so heavy and overdone, it made parts of it illegible.  If this is considered an art form, then my middle school students are all hugely gifted because none of them paragraph or punctuate either. 

Blech!

No comments:

Post a Comment